June 19, 2013

The focus is focus...

I am the kind of person who has dabbled in a million things. I look back over my years of working doing everything from long-haul truck driving, social work, retail sales, upholstery business, green housing, to name a few. My interests are constantly shifting. I have been fortunate enough to follow my whims to some extent.

I have toyed with a myriad of different artistic venues. Working with clay, painting in several different media, woodcarving, quilting, beading, raising livestock, gardening, and many others. Each time I found a new interest I bought every book and all the equipment I could find. I am very lucky (?)  to live in a large, old farmhouse with just my husband, three dogs and two cats for competition! I found fiber and spinning about fifteen years ago and have stayed with that in one form or another ever since. I am not saying there haven't been side trips, but I always seem to come back!

I have been working hard this last six months on the idea of focus, single-pointedness. I have been clearing out a three decade collection of must-haves. I am trying hard to quiet the voices that call out to me from all corners. The house is a much more peaceful place when it is is not trying to tempt me in a different direction, not to mention it is becoming much less cluttered. I have all my yarn, spinning and knitting stuff in one large room now. My weaving didn't fit, so the loom is still in one of the living rooms. Remnants of other endeavors are stored in a large closet, waiting to be brought back out.

My latest fascination (here we go again), is with natural dye stuffs and wool. I have tried several things so far; rhubarb leaves, asparagus, and Snow on the Mountain to name a few. I have been looking through my many books on natural dyes and have started a list (now three pages long) of dye stuff I want to harvest or grow. Everything I look at now makes me wonder, "what color could I get from that".  I think I will have to start carrying a bag and a clipper with me everywhere I go.

In an effort to remain focused, I have decided that I will experiment with many different dye stuffs, but  stick to Alum as the mordant as it is the least toxic, and will vary the assists and other things that can affect the color. I also have a supply of nicely softened water with the iron removed, or hard water full of iron. That will affect the outcomes as well. I am very grateful to sheep and other animals  that continue to produce raw fiber for me to play with!

As I said in my very first post, this is a  journey and I hope you will join me! I am in no way an expert, but ready to jump in with both feet and see where it takes me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment!