July 18, 2013

Too Hot to Dye

We have had quite a stretch of very hot, very humid weather lately. I have bark soaking to cook up for dyeing, but I can't bring myself to mess with the pots of boiling water! I am researching 'solar' dyeing. I may have to give that a try. It has also been a busy time. Two flooded basements in two weeks and a wedding far enough away we took the camper... and the dogs. Camping with the Corgis is never a problem (although, Gus needs to be carried to the camper and put inside. He doesn't seem to mind once we are going, but that first step gets to him!

This is our boy, Gus. He is eight years old. He hasn't missed many meals. He doesn't care too much for hiking. When we are camping, he prefers to sleep in a shady place and check out what the neighbors are having for supper.








Janie is the little Diva. She pretty much runs the house, and every one in it. She is eleven years old, a master manipulator, and has the other two dogs completely under her paw.  Janie doesn't care where she is, so long as 'her daddy' (my husband) is nearby.


Lula is the 75 pound baby. She is a three year old Catahoula.  She loves her people. She loves to play and has endless energy. Lula is very friendly and loves to explore. She doesn't try to be bad, she's like the bull in the china closet...everywhere. I read in one breed description that Catahoulas are very  intelligent which makes them very inquisitive about their surroundings so they do a lot of exploring. I go with that. My husband has a different idea. I love her dearly, but she is difficult to travel with. First day back she got a wonderful new kennel.

Since I haven't been dyeing yarn, I thought this would be a good time to spin up some I had finished. Here are some photos of that yarn. It is all DK weight 2ply wool.

From L to R: rhubarb leaves; Snow on the Mountain; Milkweed; Quebracho Red; Leafy Spurge; a combination of natural grey wool and Red Cabbage; Red Cabbage.

  





No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment!