September 3, 2014

It has been quite a summer. I had a total knee replacement the first of August. That has really put a damper on my activities! I have been learning how to walk and use my knee for the past four weeks. I thought I would be able to spin...I could treadle the wheel just fine, but I couldn't sit with my leg down for long. I spent the first week out of the hospital with my sister-in-law, Carolyn, and her husband and daughter. We were up in the Bemidji, Minnesota area. We made some short trips each day for exercise. One of these trips was to the Bemidji Woolen Mills. It was not what I was expecting. The only yarn they had for sale was Brown Sheep Lamb's Pride. Nice yarn, but I was hoping for something more unique. I understand the mill has been out of production for many years.

Another stop we made was to Northern Woolen Mills in Fosston, Minnesota. We talked with the owner, Stephenie Anderson. She gave us a short tour, due to my knee. It was interesting to see the mill. I also looked at some of her yarns and purchased some roving. It is so wonderful to have access to two woolen mills in driving distance. Northern Woolen Mills, in Fosston, Minnesota; Dakota Fiber Mill, Kindred, North Dakota (check it out on Facebook).

I also bought a llama fleece from a person I met while at a show in Battle Lake, Minnesota. I ended up with 2 1/2 pounds of beautiful roving, processed by Dakota Fiber Mill. I now have about six pounds of roving, some wool blend, Merino and Llama waiting for me to get my wheel out.

Yesterday, a friend stopped by and brought me a gift. She found this beautiful Polyporous Squamosus (also called Dryad's Saddle, pheasant back, or hawk's wing). This one is about a foot across and probably too old to be edible, but could be interesting in  the dye pot! I can't wait to 'cook it up' and see what happens! This was found on a stump from either Box Elder or Silver Maple. These can be found on living or dead hardwoods, mostly on the Eastern part of the country. We have had an extremely wet summer. There was a large amount of rain a few days before Linda found this. I am anxious to get out into the woods and see what else is out there. Should be a good mushrooming year!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment!