July 27, 2017


My New Inkle Loom!

About a week ago I was wandering around in the Salvation Army store with a friend. I always check the craft section out. This day, there happened to be a brand new, still in the bag, with instructions Inkle Loom. I knew what it was because I had seen them before. I had never really thought of owning one due to the limited weaving width. I wasn't into making belts... The price was only $5.00. I figured I didn't have to use it too much to get my money back, so I bought it.

It just so happened that at that time I was busy weaving purses to sell at upcoming shows. It dawned on me that even thought the straps I could weave on the inkle loom would not work for the current project, I had projects in mind for which this kind of weaving would be quite lovely.





I set out reading the instructions that came with my loom and managed to get it warped with little difficulty. I made the heddles out of a tough nylon string.  I used some cotton that I had around to warp the loom. I used a mercerized cotton weft. I chose a patterned warp that would give me a nice design and colors that were easy to match with others. I started weaving and was surprised at how fast it actually goes! I expected it to be much slower.


This is the strap I am currently working on. I plan to use it 
on a large wool bag I am going to be making with alpaca 
roving. The roving will be several different colors, but all natural. I think that the magenta in the strap will look nice on the natural hues of browns, black, white, and grey. My strap is now over half done. I still have to weave the bag. When I am finished, I will post a picture so you can see the finished project. 

Meanwhile, I have learned to keep an open mind. I always thought an inkle loom was more trouble than it was worth. Although I would not want to weave on it a lot, it is a relaxing break from my other weaving. I plan to experiment with several other weaving techniques to add interest to the bands I weave. I also like that I can weave in my recliner....

These looms generally retain for between $110-150. I can't complain about the price of mine! 








No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment!