January 1, 2014

Happy New Year!

It is very cold here on the first day of 2014. The high is to be 7 below; with the wind it feels like 23 below. The low tonight is to be 23 below. This is good weather to stay inside and knit, spin, weave, or whatever moves you.

I have finished several new projects lately, including the cowl at the left. This is a very quick pattern, knit out of some of my Icelandic wool spun into a two ply worsted weight yarn. The pattern for this cowl will be posted later.


I also crocheted several pairs of slippers from some of  my bulky spun two-ply wool. This is a grey pair I made for a friend. I also made several other pairs that have been given as gifts. They are fast and easy and especially ware made out of wool. I thought that the Pom-poms added a special touch reminiscent of the era this slipper is from. Some things are too good to forget!



We still have one more Christmas celebration. We will be getting together with my husband's family this weekend. My nephew and his new wife (they were married this summer) both teach in a small village in Alaska. They will be joining us. They are expecting a baby in April. They won't get back down here until next summer so we are having a baby shower as well this weekend. I found this little swearter pattern on Ravelry.com (Fast Baby Cardigan by Jan Cullen). I changed the buttons and designed the hat to match.


The pattern is very easy to follow. She has included several sizes, two different trim edges, and directions for boy or girl. I knit this out of Misty Baby Alpaca. It is so soft and snugly. I am hoping to get more items made before April to send up to the baby. It is hard, not knowing whether it is a girl or a boy! This is the first grandchild/niece/nephew on that side of the family so everyone is excited.

I also decided to try to design a crocheted headband and flower. They are so popular right now. This one buttons in the back of the neck for ease of wearing. It should keep someone's ears very warm. 

DYEING CLASS SCHEDUlED!!!

The date for the natural dyeing class has been set. It will be held at Dakota Fiber Mill in Kindred, ND in the first Saturday in February. The class will run from 9am to 4pm. Lunch will be served. All supplies will be provided, just wear old clothes or an apron. We will be dyeing with onion skins, red 
cabbage, and walnut hulls. Yarn to dye will be provided. The cost is $45 per person. Please contact Kristi at  Dakota Fiber Mill if you are interested in joining us for this class. Should be a lot of fun. Hope to see you there. 

Before I sign off I want to thank all of my readers for joining me on this journey into the exploration of color, fiber, and a few side trips...I have enjoyed writing this blog. I plan to write more about natural dyeing and fiber production in the coming year. I have ideas for informative blogs on dye stuff, mordants, and gathering. I will also be sharing patterns as the are created and tested. I want to wish you all the very best in the coming year!







No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment!