January 22, 2014

Seasons


"To everything there is a season...". Living in Minnesota really makes that clear! There is little you can do to alter it, so you have to make the best of whatever season you are in. When your work is tied to nature you can't always do what you want when you want. You give up some of that control.
Even though a new calendar year has started, there is little new yet. January is consistently a long, cold, snowy month. This year is no exception. It is in the 20's below, windy and snowing today. At least the days are getting longer!

Looking at it another way, I am warm, in my spinning room, spinning the last of the wool I have ready to spin. I have music playing, a space heater toasting my toes, and a good cup of tea.  The dogs are asleep on the floor around me. Cozy! Even though it is the dead of winter, there is plenty to do. This is a good time to catch up from last year and get ready for the busy days of spring. 

                                                


Soon everything will all change. It is sort of like waking up from a nap. Sheering will start in about a month. Then lambing. Then things start to poke through the snow. It will be time to get the garden ready for another year, and there will be new plants to dye with. While I am spinning, my mind is wandering to warmer days. I am anxious to start dyeing outside again.

I have been thinking a lot about expanding my repertoire of dye plants by enlarging the dye garden. There are several plants and shrubs I want to add. The garden catalogues are coming in almost daily. I have been researching which plants work well for dyeing, although I have no plans to abandon the happy accidents of the last year! I also have to do the renovation on my camper! I plan to use that to attend shows and festivals as well as to get to new places to forage for dye stuff.


It seems like a quiet time of year, the middle of winter. But actually, it is a very needed and busy time. You just have to agree to do the things that need doing now and wait until the proper season to do the others.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment!