February 2, 2015

On Weaving...


Well, I am off on another excellent adventure! This time I am weaving. I have been struggling with the idea of warping my floor loom, an 8 harness affair. It is going to take a lot of time and a lot of space in my living room. But I have really had a hankering to weave. I have a lot of small amounts of yarn left over from spinning skeins for sale. I thought weaving would be a great way to clean off the spinning bobbins and use up some yarn pieces either too small to sell or not suitable for knitting.


This weaving is done on a 12 dent reed. I am using a wool warp yarn that I purchased. The weft is made up of a lot of bobbin ends. For the part visible in the photo below I took all my bobbins with small amounts of singles and plied it with a natural white wool. I really like how it is turning out.


Other sections of the weaving are done with a solid mottled green, and different shades of natural Alpaca and wool in Browns and greys.

The loom I am using is a Schacht Flip Loom. It is a great loom. This particular one has a twenty inch weaving width. I figured anything larger I can do on the floor loom. This loom is set up for a second reed, giving it a lot of versatility. Another feature I really like is that it can be 'flipped' or folded with the warp and or weaving on it for easy storage or travel. There is also a floor stand available and a travel bag!



While I have been weaving on this project I have been busy designing future project with yarn I have in my stash. I also have reorganized my wool room in my head and redone my yarn storage to,better accommodate planning weaving projects. Now, if only I could figure out how to accomplish those things while weaving this...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment!