February 24, 2014

In The Beginning

I have been spinning now for at least fifteen years. I love the rhythm of the wheel and the feel of the fiber in my hands. Spinning is my way of relaxing, a form of meditation.  I can spin for hours. I love experimenting with new techniques. Over time, I have become very in tune with my wheel and can easily adjust it for the type of fiber and the yarn I am working with. All this makes spinning even more enjoyable for me.

I remember learning to spin. The first time I tried to spin, about twenty five years ago, was not successful. I could manage to get a bit of yarn onto the bobbin, but was unable to graft more fiber so that when I ran out in my hand, I was pretty much done! One thing that I remember about that attempt is how tense I was, always fighting the wheel. The woman that was teaching me, or trying to teach me, had taught many people how to spin. She taught classes in spinning and weaving at a local university, owned a yarn shop, and was well known in the area for her weaving. She was very patient with me, but I was not ready to learn. I decided spinning was not something I was interested in.


In 1990 my husband and I bought a small farmstead. Eventually, we got a a few sheep, angora goats, and llamas. I decided to give spinning another go. I now had my own fleece to work with. This attempt was much different. The same woman worked with me. Something seemed to click this time. I was able to relax a bit. I can remember her on the floor spinning the wheel at one point, while I focused on managing the fiber! Eventually, I could do both. That was about seventeen years ago. I have never stopped!

There are many different types of spinners, and many different aspects of spinning that appeal to each individual. I am pretty much self taught, after finally learning to spin and draft at the same time. I am more interested in spinning in a way that produces the type of yarn I want and is comfortable and relaxing to me than in the technical aspects of spinning.  I am fortunate in having both the time and the fleece to experiment.


I have talked to many people who are just starting to spin. They tell me of problems they are having. It always brings back the memories of my own struggles with learning. I have come up with a short list of things that I usually suggest, as well as discussing the tension, adjustments, and maintenance of the wheel.

Many times, new spinners want to save their "good" fleece until they are better at spinning. I discourage this. Good spinning fleece does not have to be expensive. Trying to spin with bad fleece, or poorly prepared fiber is a recipe for frustration. It is best to start with a prepared roving. This is usually the easiest to spin.

I encourage new spinners to set aside at least 15 minutes each day when they can sit in front of their wheel and spin. The amount of progress you can make in one week is often amazing. Besides, the more you spin, the better acquainted you become with your wheel and how things feel when everything is set right.

The most important is RELAX. If you are tense or get frustrated, it will feel more like a chore than anything else.

Don't be disappointed if your first attempts produce bumpy, thick and thin yarn. You will improve! Later, you my find it impossible to spin the thick and thin yarns you spun in the beginning! Save that yarn, better yet, use it to make something.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment!