February 17, 2014

Waiting for Spring



I am so ready for spring! Overnight we had winter storm warnings. The wind howled all night. I stayed under the covers a bit longer than usual this morning. By the time I got up, about 9am, the sun was shining in a beautiful, solid blue sky. There was no wind. There was about an inch of new snow, but I didn't shovel, thinking it would melt anyway. (It didn't, but tomorrow is another day...). The high was to be in the high 30's.
I spent much of this morning looking through the photos of the yarns I created last spring and summer. Also pictures of the plants I used. I could imagine being out on the deck again, spinning and dyeing wool. The warmth of the sun. The sounds of the birds. The riot of colors in the trees, gardens, sky, and lawn. What a contrast to the quiet shades of winter.


I have been longing to go foraging for plants to add to my dye pot. I thought about last year and all the different dye experiments and the beautiful colors I obtained from the various plants. I am anxious to start again! This year I will work on learning to save some of the dye stuffs to use later. I can't wait for the snow on the mountain, leafy spurge, bedstraw, dandy lions, and all the other plants to start to grow.

With the forever grey cold days of winter I have been having a bit of difficulty getting started on things. In this part of the country cabin fever is alive and well. Everyone I talk to seems to have the same thoughts...'I can't wait for spring'! 'How much longer'?

Well, today was enough to get me going again! The warmth in the sun, snow melting and dripping from the roofs, the intensity in the colors, all reminded me that this too shall pass. Hopefully, our really cold temperatures will be done soon. Spring will indeed come again.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment!