November 21, 2013

Glamping Here I Come!

I don't know if you have heard of it, but Glamping is BIG stuff right now. We have a big camper for camping with me, my husband, and the three dogs...size is important there. But, I have wanted a smaller camper for me for a long time. I want one I can pull with my car. I want one that I can easily pull, park, and set up myself. When I started looking at pictures of camper re-dos and "Glampers", I got a little excited. I showed my husband some of the pictures and explained what I had in mind,. He thought the vintage campers that are all dolled up were kind of fun. There are a whole bunch of photos and ideas on Pinterest.

I started looking for a small, older camper and today I bought one. I drove 250 miles roud trip to get it and bring it home. My buddy Gus rode along for company. He is a good traveler, but I had to give him half my chicken nuggets!



My new old camper is a 12' 1969 Forester. The outside just needs some paint. The paint on it isn't that bad, but it is not "glamorous'. I am thinking of white with turquoise accents. The inside is a different story. There is one broken window across the front.  And the door needs some work. I also will  'pretty-up' all the trim somehow, not sure just yet. Window boxes might be nice...There is a rack on the back of the camper that could be revamped for extra storage for traveling to shows and sales (or could carry a small motorcycle). The baby moon hubcaps should shine up nicely. An awning would be a nice touch as well.


The inside is a different story. The floor plan is set up so there is a dinette/bed in the front. The bathroom is across from the door. Next to that is the sink and stove. Next to the door and across from the stove is the fridge and next to that is the furnace. There is a sofa that goes across the back that makes into a bed as well. I like the floor plan, I think...but that is the extent of it. I plan to replace the walls, floor, ceiling, and some of the built-ins. I will be making new curtains, painting, building a new table, maybe new benches for the dinette, and pretty much gutting and starting from scratch. I may have a source from some bigger windows. I would like to have a lot of windows and light. The interior will match the exterior. I have seen a lot of cute pictures of vintage camper re-dos and I will have to figure out the best way to fix this to meet my needs. I will post before and after shots of the whole thing so stay tuned!




All in all, I am pretty excited. I think that this will be a lot of work, but should be fun and I know that I will enjoy camping in it. I have a lot of time to think about it...and to do the work. It is November. It snowed here today.  Won't be camping for a while now! But..sisters of the road...Here I Come!

By the by, the one major thing missing from this little gem is a name. Any suggestions would be appreciated!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment!