November 3, 2013

Made it to the Wheaton Sale

Well, we got to the sale! Had a wonderful time. We got a great spot. I already reserved the same spot for next year.  The products we had were well received. One of the best things about going to events  like this is meeting other people who appreciate what you are doing and have their own stories to tell. I saw one piece of information stating that there were seventy vendors. I think it must have ended up being more than that. This sale was huge. I saw several of the vendors and demonstrators from Rosholt there. Some venders have been to this sale several times. Others are first timers like me.

There were all sorts of things for sale. Embroidery, quilting, knitting sewing, soap making, jewelry making, baking to name just a few.  The woman in the booth next to me was selling mittens made from wool sweaters. They were lined with flannel or fleece and some had leather patches sewn to the palms. They were very pretty and extremely warm. I wanted to buy a pair, but got too busy! Another vender was selling woven rugs that were really nicely done, including some woven with core-spun alpaca (that if I had, I would have to sleep on it...Mmmmmmm).

My friend Susie was with me. She is the person I have mentioned here before that makes paper. She had a selection of hand folded "keeper boxes", hand made cards, booklets and more.


She also had book markers, books and cards that folded into tree ornaments and more. There was nothing else like it at the sale and people seemed intrigued with her product. People often don't get past the folded crane when thinking about Origami. There is so much more to it. Plus, she had some beautiful handmade paper.

I had all the racks full of yarn in the beginning as well as baskets of skeins. By the time the sale was over the baskets were nearly empty and the racks were getting bare! I have a lot of spinning to do before the next sale in Battle Lake, MN on December 7th. 

I had a lot of fun demonstrating the spinning process and blending wool with the blending board. I sold most of my blended yarn so I am already busy making more! People seemed to enjoy seeing how the colors were blended and the wool was prepared for spinning. They are always amazed at the magic of a fluffy piece of wool turning into a strand of yarn! It was fun to explain the whole process from shearing to spinning and dyeing. 

I want to thank the Wheaton Area Schools Community Education for hosting this event. Janet Koch did a wonderful job of setting things up and making sure everything ran smoothly. I can't imagine the amount of planning and the work it must take to pull something like this together. The whole event was a lot of fun and I think everyone there was enjoying themselves. I am certainly looking forward to being a part of the 2014 Holiday Craft Fair!












No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment!