September 25, 2013

Chicken of the Woods

These are photographs I took last summer in my yard. I didn't know at the time what I was looking at. I looked at several mushroom sites, but for some reason I didn't think this was the same as anything I found. This was growing out of an old Elm tree stump (on the West side). We cut the tree down years ago and carved a stool into the stump and the stump has been there ever since. Last summer is the first time anything like this developed. Recently, I discovered through a blog I follow,  , that what I had was a 'Sulfur Shelf' mushroom, also known as 'Chicken of the Woods' (Laetiporus sulphureus). Fellow blogger, Lisa Jordan (lil fish studios) is a seasoned mushroom hunter. She has several posts on eating, dyeing with and hunting mushrooms. Not only does this make a lovely dye bath, it also is edible and supposedly, tastes like...you got it, chicken!

Since I finally found out what I had, and more importantly, that it is useful for dyeing, I started looking for it again this summer. I have been disappointed in that there is no sign of it in the place it grew last year. I hadn't harvested any of it last year, not knowing what it was, so I hoped it would come back.


This morning when I walked out to the mailbox I passed the stump, as I do everyday. To my surprise, I found this on the 'seat' of the stump, (the East side). I am so happy to see this beautiful mushroom growing here again. I plan to watch it to see how much bigger it gets. I am going to harvest some of it this year, when it gets bigger, to dye with. I may even cook a little up for my husband (he is a much braver soul than me...).

I will report soon on the growth and dyeing of this gem. I can't wait to see if it grows as big as last year! Meanwhile, I am going to do a little more hunting to see if there is anything else wonderful in my woods.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment!