September 16, 2013

It's a Matter of Madder

I am back at the dye pot again today. I have been experimenting with Madder. Madder is a plant root that has been used for dying for centuries. It produces many different shades, from pinks, reds, oranges, rusts and purples. I dyed some wool with madder several weeks ago using an alum mordant. The result was a beautiful orange, almost cinnabar.


Today, I used that same dye bath that I had saved from the first run. This time, it came out a deep, variegated rose color. This was very different than the original color. I was amazed at the difference between the first and second run.

I had mordanted some wool with copper. I decided to see what would happen if I used copper for a mordant instead of alum. I put some of the wool in the same pot as before. This time it turned a beautiful plum. I ran one more batch of wool through the pot that also had copper mordant. This time, I got a lilac color!

Below is a photo of all four batches of wool. Left to right: first run, alum mordant; second run alum mordant; third run copper; fourth run copper. Amazing. I am really pleased with all four results!


I thought that I would post a picture of my finished mordants. I started these back on July 23, 2013 (see that post for the instructions on making both mordants). The jars have been sitting out on the deck since then. Iron is on the right, copper on the left.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment!