September 24, 2013

North Country Fiber Fair

I have been hearing about the North Country Fiber Fair for several years. It is held each September in Watertown, South Dakota. I have thought about going many times, but it seemed that something always got in the way. This year, I finally made it. I had a wonderful time. There were many venders there from all over with items for sale and lots of new and interesting ideas. I met a lot of friendly people from a lot of different places. It is so inspiring to be surrounded by people who are as passionate about fiber as I am!

The fair lasts for three days. There is no admission fee. Countless demonstrations are taking place all three days. In the barn and area a there are sheep, goats, llamas, alpacas, even a Bactrin camel! There are animal judging contests, sheering demonstrations, dog obedience and sheep dog demonstrations.

Tracy Miller from Billabong Border Collies gave several demonstrations of border collies working stock. It was very entertaining and informative. Tracy explained that so much of what the dogs do is instinct, and the trainers' job is to work with the dog, teaching the dogs commands for what they are already doing.The dogs are definitely enjoying themselves, as is Tracy.
There are spinning wheels everywhere you look. Many venders selling spinning tools, yarn, looms, even baskets from Giana.





 I tried to stop myself, but I did buy some really wonderful roving, a large bag of beautifully hand dyed mohair locks, some yarns that were hand dyed, and almost another wheel...







Classes are offered on spinning, knitting, basket weaving, dying, color theory, crochet, photography, Kumihimo,braiding, felting, wool combing, tatting, nalbinding, rug hooking, and even building and using a triangle loom.


I didn't sign up for any classes this year, but will next year. It was really a lot of fun. Well worth the drive. Good people, interesting demonstrations, lovely things to touch and buy... and a lot of inspiration. I have all sorts of new things I want to try! Next year. I am already looking forward to it!



North Country Fiber Fair

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment!