September 2, 2013

Walking in The Woods

Before I start this post, I would like to let people know how to join and how to leave comments. I have had several people tell me they have had difficulty. If you wish to join the site, there is a blue button down the right side column that says Join This Site. If you click on that it should take you through the process. If you wish to leave a comment or ask a question about a post, please look in the box at the end of each post. There you will find the words "no comment". If you click on that, it should take you to a comment box. Your comment will not appear on the post until it has been approved. Thanks! I hope to hear from more of you.

My husband and I visited his sister and her family up near Bemidji, MN this weekend. While we were there, Carolyn and I went searching for color.  We drove to a nearby state forest (of which there are many). Once we were inside the woods I took lots of photos to remember it by. Being inside a forest is a very rejuvenating place for me. It feeds my soul. I have always loved this part of Minnesota. No matter where I roam, it always calls me back. We stopped and listened to the woods, smelled the earth and picked some wild berries (just enough for a taste).

 
On the way to the forest we found a lot of plants I have been looking for to dye my wool with along the roadsides in the fields and ditches. There were a lot of wild blue and white asters among the goldenrod and tansy. It was a beautiful display of color.


Some of the plants that we found that afternoon were Mullein and Goldenrod. We also found large stands of Tansy. These were not in the forest, but in the fields and ditches along the way there. 


These are three of the plants I want to try dyeing with yet this summer. I also am looking forward to walnuts, pine cones, and some lichens and mushrooms. We found this lovely piece of wood lying on the ground near Carolyn's home.


As we were leaving the forest and driving some backroads, we came upon these guys!


I don't have any idea whose cattle these are. They appear to be Scottish Highlands and they are enormous! They looked so beautiful and peaceful standing in the pasture. There was quite a herd of them, including some born this year. They are supposed to be an extremely hardy breed with minimal shelter needs even in the coldest climates due to their long wooly coats (they are, after all, originally from the Scottish Highlands). They will survive on little supplement besides pasture and will eat almost everything. They are excellent meat producers and are a gentle breed. They have very large, curved horns and shaggy bangs over their eyes. This helps to prevent fly bites and pink eye. It also makes them irresistable!

We had a wonderful weekend and I have to thank our hosts for all their hospitality, great food, good company, and wonderful bonfires! We will have to do this again very soon!







No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment!