September 27, 2013

It's What's for Dinner!

As you, my readers know, I have been on a mushroom quest lately! I decided it was time to bite the bullet and get in the kitchen. I have positively identified the Sulfur Shelf. I found this bunch on a tree out in the woods this afternoon. I talked it over with my husband, and he agreed to try some. I went out and gathered about a third of what is on that tree. I had done a lot of research and found that the new growth, about the outer most inch, was supposed to be the best eating. I cut most of one whole 'clump' and brought it inside. My husband's only comment was that he hoped it tasted better than it smelled, although, I didn't think it was so bad!

I cut the mushroom into slices. I kept about the outermost inch for cooking with and chopped the rest and put it in a dye pot. I had read that it was best to soak the mushroom pieces in vinegar and water (equal parts) before cooking to remove any dirt or bugs. I didn't find either, but I soaked the parts I was using for supper anyway just to be sure.

The chunks for the dye pot went directly onto the stove, covered with water. I simmered these for about an hour and then took them off the heat and left them in the liquid to steep overnight.

After I got done slicing and dicing the mushroom, I cut up some carrots, celery, onions, and garlic. I sauteed the vegetables in butter and olive oil until they started to soften and get tender. I took them out of the skillet and placed them in the stock pot with some chicken stock. Then, I added the mushrooms to the skillet and sauteed them for about 15 minutes. I added some sage, parsley, salt and pepper to the mushrooms.


I then added the mushrooms to the stock pot and simmered the soup for about 45 minutes, until all the vegetables were tender. I checked the seasoning and declared it done!


I called my husband to supper. I let him taste it first, (just in case). He thought it was very good, so I tried it. It really did taste like chicken soup! I think that I would not be so greedy next time and use more of the mushroom. The parts further in really had a texture like chicken. When I make it again, I plan to add some white beans-navy, great northern or cannelli beans for a bit of protein. I can see using this with a white sauce or Alfredo. I am going to harvest more for as long as the weather holds and the mushrooms are producing. Hopefully, I will be able to dehydrate a lot to use over the winter. Meanwhile...Soup's on!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment!